Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

LibRary 2.0

Where I grew up (Philippines), i thought libraries are a 0.0. My concept of a library was this tiny stuffy and dusty room filled with uniteresting books that I was forced to go to because our teacher asked us to. I was spoiled and I took libraries for granted. It was a boring place.
Last night I watched this movie "The Ulimate Gift", there was a scene there where there was this libray that looked like a shack in a really remote area in Mexico. There wasn't a lot of books and yet all the poor villagers saw it as a special place.
Today, I am very blessed to be working in one of the most beautiful up-to-date libraries in the world...i mean it is 1st world, 1st class and I will never say libraries are boring again. Still, I find it weird that at this stage we see ourselves as outdated when the rest of the world hasn't even reached the point of having computers in their libraries or owning as much books as we do. Anyway....Library 2.0 is way past what I thought libraries can be. I really like the perspective "To a temporary place in time" and "to more powerful ways to cooperate". Libraries are communities...one that I am very happy to be part of.

http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/6.htm

No comments: