Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Home is so familiar but so new to me...

On a GK road trip, I met a doctor who told me that it was very simple how he was able to build an entire village for the poor...he said "I simply jotted it down on paper. God put the ideas on my head while I was sleeping and when I wrote it down, it was on its way to being built. Just like that".
Last night I slept for 11 hours. It wasn't a deep sleep, it was more of a jet lagged kind of sleep where my body didn't want to move but my head was so full of memories of my 1st day here that my heart kept saying I must write them down. It felt like flashbacks in my sleep, it's only been 24 hours in the Philippines and already I saw what I can only describe as seeing LOVE in many forms and ways. So if you don't mind, I will simply jott down all these happy thoughts in my head.
-As soon as my plane landed, all the passengers clapped. Overhead we hear "Maligayang Pagdating sa Maynila" and I swear my heart jumped because this is my language. No need to study or have dictionaries, or to struggle in making sense of things, I can understand all the conversations around me..it is beyond cool after all the traveling to land back home and still feel the thrill of a new adventure.
-My flight is delayed and at midnight I come out with all 150 pounds of my luggage. I see Yaya Belen and Kuya Jun jumping up and down calling my name and they look happy to see me. What's even more welcoming is that my Lolo who is 90 years old is in the car waiting for me. He waited 3 hours! I almost cried because there was no impatience in his eyes, just joy as he tells me he was praying to Tata Ige (St. Michael) that I arrive safe. Same goes for Lola who requested that I wake her up when I arrive Bacoor, I startle her awake and she blinks her eyes open and says "Praise God you are home safe! Now go eat!"
-The next morning I wake up to see my nephew Miko sitting in Lolo's chair and looking like a small 10-year old version of my grandfather waiting patiently. He tells me "See, I woke up earlier than you. So what do you want to do Tita?". For the rest of the day, I see what Miko's life is like in the province during summer. Like most kids, he is bored plus he is grounded from computer games. Good thing I've got lots of questions for him like what are the names of all our dogs? He named them Mambo, Rico, Mejas (which means socks)and Max. Oh and of course I had some funny quirky things to do like kids yoga and patting our heads while rubbing our bellies on the swing. It makes me happy that I am the cool Auntie that can make him laugh.
-During breakfast Lolo tells me to put my fork down and use my hands to eat fish. :o)
-My parents call from the U.S. and it's nice to always have this routine of letting loved ones know I am safe. My mom wants a detailed account so I am sure she will love reading this blog.
-I take a morning stroll with Lolo. He is blind in one eye and has difficulty seeing height but this has always been his routine, to walk after eating. I join him and he gives me a mini-tour, neighbors greet him and he proudly introduces me to them. We also pass by SGT. E Ejercino Road and he tells me that man who has a street named after him fought in the WWII alongside Lolo and now only my grandfather is the last one alive. I am walking with a hero this morning and that is a miracle in itself.
-After the morning walk, I hang out with Ate Belen and Ate Edna while they cook lunch. Both of them have been with us as household help for a very long time and they are like family. They tell me that the neighbors outside said I looked like a nice person which is nice but what I thought was even nicer is that Ate Belen and Ate Edna vouched for me and actually told them that it's true, I am nice. What an ego booster!
-I shell out all the pictures, cards, and video my family in Florida asked to show and it feels good to be that messenger that tells family that all is okay on the other side. Of course, we gushed about the cuteness of my 4-month old nephew Milo who has yet to discover all the people who love him in the Philippines.
-My grandmother hands me a laundry basket and some cabinet space for my things. I help her arrange fake flowers on vases around the house and change bedsheets. She is like a micro manager, everything has to be done a certain way and I oddly feel very happy to finally experience Lola's famous home economics training. She is 89 years old and still quite the busy bee.
-We are watching TV and my grandmother asks where Miko's friend is and he tells us that he is not allowed inside the house. I met Norbin earlier today, he is as young, skinny and hyper as my nephew and is the son of one of the help. My grandmother gets a bit upset and says that she refuses to partake in having discrimination, Norbin is Miko's friend and guest and should be allowed to watch TV and eat with us. My respect for Lola goes up a big notch for this lesson she is giving us.
-Everyone tells me I am lucky. Apparently the extremely HOT season where you often wake up with your pillow soaked with sweat just ended. Thank God.
- In the evening, we leave the province to go to Malate because Lola is part of a women's group who facilitates the 6am mass every 1st Sunday of the month. It is only me, Miko, Yaya Belen and Lola so we all sleep in one room in the Malate house. I wake up in the middle of the night and I see Miko snuggled up to me because the airconditioner is on high. I wake up again because I had to go to the bathroom and when I came back, Lola was calling my name because she got worried that I was gone. Wow---I was just thinking of sitting outside to read a book but I changed my mind...better to just fight jet lag and sleep it out...also it will help Lola sleep knowing I am there. As I drifted off to sleep I realize that beside me are gems. Miko is 10 and Lola is almost 90, that's 100 years! I am 25, in my quarter life and in this moment I am learning the hearts of both a kid and an elder. Last week I saw an ad I liked that said "I want to be a mature and responsible kid". well....isn't this just what I asked for? God you are too funny.
-Early next morning we wake up to attend mass. It takes about 3 minutes to get there but at my grandmother's pace it is about 10 minutes. I remember telling God that I want my adventure year to slow down a bit and here He goes again and answers my prayer in His very unique divine way.
-Along the slow way to church, I notice the surroundings more. There is vomit by our door step, a homeless man sleeping on a carton by our garage, and a woman squatting and smoking a cigarette. There is trash everywhere but it is drizzling a bit so somehow it smells clean and fresh. There is also cats everywhere, I even saw a pushcart that sells candy with about 5 cats hiding from the rain and surprisingly one dog snuggled along with them. Near the church entrance I see a 3 year old wearing only a sando, barefoot with a dirty but sweet face. We enter and my grandmother directs me to walk her towards the other women wearing uniform like hers. When the offertory came around, I walk Lola towards the back and she releases me amd holds one of the ladies to support her. I go back to my seat and glance at the women. They all look so nice in their blue dresses with white collars. Only Lola has the full head of white hair but her face is still young in my eyes because she looks happy to serve. Suddenly one of them wave at me to come closer and she hands me a candle and tells me to walk in front of them down the aisle. I am honored to do this and chuckling a bit on the inside because this is God talking to me I know for sure. I am holding this little light of mine and He is gonna help me shine...I sing this kid's song in my head as I walk up to the beautiful altar. It is exactly 24 hours from the time I woke up yesterday.
So yeah....this was one very long blog. I needed to share it for a reason I have yet to discover. I have a long way to go and am very much clueless to where this decision to go back home will lead me. Still, I am where God wants me to be this minute and that is just perfect.

3 comments:

Books4nothingandTVforFREEPARTY said...

Thanks for sharing Ish. It is so wonderful to enjoy your adventure even though I am still in Miami.

Please continue to consistently write your feelings and thoughts in this blog. I am sure you will treasure these experiences many times again and again as you reflect on the blessings and teachings of God.
Salamat

misisdiane said...

I am so happy you are home safe :) I enjoyed reading your post.. I have been waiting for it! I cannot wait for you to share the rest of your adventure..this is only the beginning. God has SOOO many GREAT things in store for a great person like you :) Yes I agree, you are where you are meant to be...Our prayers and thoughts are with you :) Ate Diane

Marj Duterte said...

Ish, I can't believe I just read this. I was missing our talks and I decided to check your blog, I am glad I did! Ah, I miss you beautiful spirit!

I can relate so much to this: I want to be a mature and responsible kid...and this little light of mine, He is going to make it shine...


I thank the Lord for giving you to us, thank you my kindred. Here's to more beautiful and amazing adventures! God is great! He loves us!